Saturday 14 December 2013

MY MEMORIES OF NAMUTAMBA



The Late Besuel Kiwanuka (my father) served for the bigger part of his working career at Namutamba. I thank God for his contribution.
MY MEMORIES OF NAMUTAMBA
I was born on October 12, 1959. By then, my father the Late Besuel Kiwanuka was the Head teacher of Namutamba Demonstration Junior School. Later, he got transferred to Kasaka Junior School as Head teacher, and in 1966, he was posted back to Namutamba as a teacher in Namutamba Teachers’ College, where he served up to retirement in 1988. As a child growing up, my memories of childhood reflect on what I saw through those years.
I remember so well how the Namutamba Community would always observe Boxing day at Kabungo Play Field and during that time a number of activities would take place which promoted togetherness of the members of the community. The Namutamba Community; one would say consists of those from Kiwanda (home of Namutamba Teachers’ College and Namutamba Demonstration School), Kabungo village members, Luwonvu, Kamuzingizza, Kyetume Village, Mbiiro village, Butumbizzi village, to mention some. These community mobilizations were possible because of the culture that the Lea Wilson’s had cultivated in the area. They were the focal point of the development in this area, as the Tea Estate and dairy farm they owned had a number of employees mostly the Baganda and Banyarwanda of Rwandese origin. The drive by the Lea Wilson’s who owned the Estate is greatly behind the Namutamba Spirit or civilization. It was a very effective community mobilization for development. The estate attracted a number of employees such that the economy of Namutamba greatly depended on the income generated by Namutamba Tea Estate and Diary Farm and it is this that provided many of the parents in the locality means of survival.
I recall during holidays when we could go to Butumbizzi the home of the Lee Wilson’s and the holiday makers could enjoy sports including in door games. Talk of discrimination, Lea Wilson loved the people of Uganda who were not only his employees but brothers given the way he treated them. I remember many of the employees of Lea Wilson had some land near where they resided where they grew food. Those days food was no problem as is the case for many households today.
It is equally important to remember Lea Wilson’s role with members of the Saved Community under Church of Uganda. His role and interaction made Namutamba the home of the Saved people of Uganda. I remember when the Late Bishop Kivengere visited Namutamba and did preach, it was great and indeed memorable. Because many people were saved more so those employed by Lea Wilson, the crime rate was generally low, and people lived much more in a brotherly way.
I remember my father was nick named ‘cob web’ this was because he used to caution student teachers to endeavour to teach in cob web free classrooms. I also remember that I used to ride a bicycle to Mbiro to collect my father whenever he made mission to Kampala. From Mbiro he could ride as I sat at the back, and life went on because with him a bicycle was the means to travel.
I started my schooling in pre-primary in 1966 and completed by primary school in 1973. However, my studies were interrupted for the years when my father had to go for upgrading studies at Makerere that is in 1967 and 1970, which meant that as a family we had to transfer from Namutamba those two years and had to study from other schools which were of poor academic quality compared to Namutamba Demonstration School.
After completing my University degree, I was called upon by among others the Late Bakka who was managing at Butumbizzi to help start Namutamba Secondary School as Head teacher; this was early 1984. I accepted, but since my training was not for a teacher, I had to look for proper employment. My input was for one term and I got an appointment with Uganda Commercial Bank which saw me posted to UCB Jinja Main Branch.
I however that God that Namutamba Demonstration School made me what I am as a responsible person within the community in Uganda, more so, to have the concern to care about others.
At the Dem School, when we were in infant classes we used to study in the morning and afternoons. I remember that after lunch, we used to have a forced sleep time during which many of us would pretend to sleep, but in most cases never slept. Those who looked bigger had the responsibility to see the smaller ones sleep; among these were Sam Lukasi and Mulindwa. I remember the Late Mrs Mawejje who was one of the infant teachers. She is one teacher who used to ride a bicycle to and fro school on a daily basis. There was Mrs. Kinene also as an infant teacher.
On arrival at school which was quite near to our home in the College Quarters, we would start off by picking rubbish. That time, most of us did not have shoes. After picking rubbish, we would be called to the assembly where the teacher on duty would address us and other teachers before sending us to class in an orderly manner. Discipline was emphasized and we were also taught to be good Christians given that the school is Church of Uganda founded. Those of us who were not staying far from school would go back home for lunch and be in time for the afternoon classes.
It was in Primary four when Mr. Matembe Azaria was our teacher that we started studying on Saturday’s and holiday time. Mr. Matembe was so good at Practical Sciences and Gardening as well as animal husbandry including the growing of Chicken. The knowledge I gained from him is still in my blood. I am in love with gardening and whenever there is opportunity, I want to see healthy plants. Mr. Matembe used to be in charge of the Mangoes and whenever it was the season for Mangoes, he would mobilize the older boys to climb the trees at school. The ripe Mangoes would then be put in pails and each class would have a share. I however recall one instance when Mr. Matembe taught us a song which goes like, “a, e, i, o, u; a, e, i, o, u; a, e, i, o, u maama ze zekola walifu. Edda eddenyo, eyo ewala; bazuula enyukutta …” we practiced this among others for a function which I thank had among others our parents. It so happened that as a class we agreed no to sing that song during the function as we saw it so childish. Mr. Matembe was annoyed with us and I think he punished us after the function. Namutamba Dem School actually gave us a complete education which unfortunately many children to day miss.
During those days, we would take the used up exercise books to the bookstore after the teacher signing at the back and one would get a new book unlike the case today where parents have to buy books for the children. From around primary four by our time, the focus would start of preparing us for sitting final examinations. Among the teachers I remember very well are Mr. Godfrey Njagala who taught Mathematics most of the time. Mr. Kiiza also taught us, and Mr. John Kataza who was good at teaching Geography.
As a child growing up, there were a few experiences which were not good and these were associated with death. During those years it so happened one day during the sports season that a son of a Reverend of Namutamba Parish Church while running got a problem given that he had taken food that morning, and what we learnt after was the death of this boy. It was so sad. This one was buried at Namutamba Parish Church. The other experience was when Sam Jingo son of the Late Jingo who worked at Lee Wilson’s Estate died of Cancer. He was also buried at the Parish Church. Death was not so common those days as it is today. We as a school were shocked to learn the death of Mrs. Mawejje. We all had to attend burial but it was a very scaring moment as this teacher had not been sick but it so happened that she died. There was also the death of Mrs Friday Kizito. The husband was well to do and a taxi driver near the play ground at Kabungo. We were made to line up as we entered the house to pay last respects to the dead woman. There the body lay on a bed with the fore head clearly visible.
I also recall that we used to buy most of the requirements from Mr. Mubiru’s shop. Things were really cheap and father used to send me for bread which would always be accompanied with butter. Life was so good. Given that we were many children at Mr. Kiwanuka’s home, gardening was undertaken to ensure that we had food. I also remember that father used to buy greens and some other food requirements from the College Garden which he managed.
We used to enjoy the time when Trainees Teachers from the College would be doing their teaching practice. It was great. They used to be so friendly, made a number of illustrations in form of charts and our classes used to be very smart during the school practice time.
I was so fortunate that at my Primary Leaving Examinations, I emerged the best in the school that is 1973, and I was given a bursary for 4 years by Mubende district administration to the best 10 children in the district that year. I must say that I am most grateful to the foundation that Namutamba Community gave me mostly my teachers. I am grateful to the guidance by my parents more so that my Late Father Besuel Kiwanuka was a real model to emulate. I am also most grateful to Mubende district administration for the bursary grant for 4 years at St. Mary’s College Kisubi from 1974 to 1977 and the payment of my fees at Higher School at the same school 1978 and 1979. This background has indeed made me what I am today.
It is sad many of our parents are no longer; many school friends and school mates are dead. I cannot fail to remember the Late Ssonko of Bakijjulula Tea Estate who loved me so much and wanted me to study with his children. I remember when I was in 1st term holiday while in Senior three; the Late could send his car to collect me from Kiwanda and would have a whole day reading with the Late Semwanga and the Late Lutaya. It was during such study that I realized that Ssemwanga was better at Mathematics and I could not believe that a friend from St. Henry Kitovu could out smart me. Back at school, I used the services of my Mathematics teacher for extra lessons and soon I became one of the 1st 4 at Mathematics in the whole of our class senior 3 & 4 (a total of 120 students as summed up from section A, B, C). I am also grateful that during holiday time I used to get facility at the Demonstration School which allowed me freedom to read. I don’t regret those efforts for they have made me what I am.
My advice to the old boys and girls of Namutamba Dem School is to exploit the potential to whatever heights. One does not have to be rewarded for whatever he does. It is important to leave something behind for which you can be remembered.
“God Bless you”
William Kituuka Kiwanuka

No comments:

Post a Comment